Tonight as I put my children to bed, I read them each a bedtime story of their choice. My oldest, Peyton, chose a book to read to her little sisters…Peyton set a goal in the beginning of the year to be at a letter J for the scholastic reading scale. Peyton entered first grade at a letter D.
She was just recently leveled, and advanced to a letter M! Pey has exceeded her goal. Of course I am proud of her reading ability, but she could be reading at a level A and I would still be proud. I admire that she is so young and recognized the importance of setting a goal and recognized the importance of hard work.
Peyton is learning the value of hard work and her perseverance paid off.
Building confidence is so important at her age…It’s the foundation for the rest of her life. She doesn’t brag about her goal, yet she feels a sense of accomplishment. Her humbleness is admirable.
Setting goals are important, no matter what age we may be. Goals help us feel a sense of accomplishment and boost confidence.
Some tips for setting goals:
1. Be realistic.
2. Write your goals down. Getting a journal or a book of some sort to keep track of your goals is helpful. I’ve been using this “goal getter” book from Target.
3. If the plan doesn’t work, modify it, but don’t give up.
4. Vocalize your goal. Say it out loud when you’re doing your make up, or showering. Say “I will do this! I know I can.” Sometimes I hold myself accountable by posting something on social media.
5. Stay positive & patient. Some goals will be easier than others. If you have a positive mindset, anything is possible.
I have set some goals for this summer.
1. Workout at least 5 days a week.
2. Finish renovating my home and move in!
3. Find more time for mindfulness.
4. Do more meaningful activities with my daughter’s during our summer together.
5. Surprise my husband with a 40th birthday party (he doesn’t read my blog or even know how to access it…sooooooo…😆)
6. Put my phone down and tune in more to what is happening around me. Especially limiting my time on social media.
7. Try something new. (Not sure what, but something different)
Seven is my lucky number so I am stopping there! What are some of your goals? Go get them! Anything is possible!